Frequently Asked Questions

Please review the questions below, many of your concerns or questions are addressed.  There is also a PDF of the questions attached at the bottom of this page.

When are entries due at my school?
To find out the due date for your school, ask your PTA President.  If you do not know how to contact your PTA president, call the front office and they can put you in touch with him/her.  If you are the chair at a school, you set your own deadline. If you still need help, send an email to

When are entries due to the next level? 
State PTA allows each level to set their own due dates.  To find out when your entries are due to the next level, contact either your council president or region director if you live in a region without councils.  Don’t know who they are? Ask your PTA president. If you still need help, send an email to

My school has a PTA but isn’t hosting Reflections?  What do I do?
Are you an adult?  If not, show this to your parent or guardian. This is the perfect opportunity for you to make a huge difference in the lives of children in your community.  If your school isn’t participating, offer to help out. If this sounds overwhelming, we can walk you through the process. Send an email to

My school doesn’t belong to the PTA?  Can we still have Reflections?
Reflections is a PTA program.  If your school is not a PTA school, but would like to start a PTA, go to and we’ll help you join!  Belonging to PTA is inexpensive and comes with enormous benefits, including a powerful voice of advocacy for children at our state legislature.  

Why do the entries ALL have to have a manila envelope?
The manila envelope is used to hold optional comment cards from judges, awards, and certificates.  This is especially useful for entries that advance beyond the local level when the student does not come to the award ceremony.  The manila envelope ensures that nothing is lost as the entry makes its way back to the student.

Does the artwork go in the manila envelope?  
If the artwork is small enough to place inside of the manila envelope, please do so.  If it is larger than the manila envelope, tape the envelope to the back of the artwork.

Can two or more students create a piece together?
No.  All Reflections entries must be the original work on one student only. However, other people may appear in the artwork of a student such as performing in a dance or acting in a film.  

A student appears in his/her photography entry?  What do I do?
Students are required to be the photographers for the photography category. Before disqualifying an entry, ask the student to tell you about how he/she took the photo.  Sometimes technology or clever techniques were used that allowed the student to photograph him/herself.

Can someone help a student write the notation for a song?
Once a student is in 6th grade or higher, he/she can only enter the music category if he/she has the technical ability to notate the music. Programs exist where songs may be played on a digital keyboard and are then automatically transcribed into sheet music, but they are flawed to the extent that they must be reviewed and corrected by someone with the technical ability to have written it out by hand in the first place.   The student must do the notating by his/herself.

How do I tell if an entry is 2D or 3D?
At the National level, 2D and 3D are combined as Visual Arts.  In Utah we loosely interpret 2D art as a picture that you would hang on the wall.  There is some flexibility here. You may choose at your school to apply a stricter definition, but, if you do, tell the students BEFORE they create their artwork.  If it is possible to leave artwork in the category it was submitted under, that is the best course of action.

Does 3D art require digital images?
3D art no longer requires digital images, just printed photos.  

When is the consent form required?
Consent is required if the recognizable voice or image of a person, other than the entrant, is in the artwork.  This applies to voice recordings, film, dance, photography, and visual art. Parents or guardians give consent for minors.  Adults give consent for themselves.

How do students turn in their films, dance, and music submissions?
Currently, CDs or USBs are accepted.Starting in 2019-2020, Utah PTA will only accept these types of entries on USB drives.  CDs will no longer be accepted. More and more computers do not have CD drives, making it difficult to judge entries. See the rules for each category for format details.  

Where are the entry forms on the website?
Everything you need, can be found on the tabs on the right.  The entry forms are under General and Arts Categories Rules Pages and Forms.

Can students use Legos in their 3D art or Film entries?  
Yes. As long as the legos are used as a building material for 3D art, it is fine to use them.  The entry needs to be an original creation rather than a kit. For film, legos may be used, but use of copyrighted characters needs to be incidental rather than the focus of the film.  A film about Batman using a Lego Batman would violate copyright laws.

Why does it take so long to get winning artwork back from state or nationals?
Because PTA is run mostly by volunteers, artwork is usually returned in a way that saves money and the time of the volunteers. Artwork that makes it all the way to the national level of competition could be kept for as long as 2 years.  A select number of state winners are also kept and displayed for the school year following the competition.

How is artwork returned?
At the state level, artwork is returned at a state board meeting to a region director.  He/she passes it on to the region Reflections specialist who gives it to the council presidents at their monthly meetings. The council presidents then give the artwork to the local PTA presidents at their monthly meetings.  The local presidents then return the artwork at the school. In regions without councils, the artwork is given directly from region to local. Students with artwork that competed at the state level, but did not win, can expect to receive it back by the end of the calendar year in which state judging took place.  Artwork that competed at the region level, but did not advance to state, should be returned by the end of the school year in which the competition took place.

How do I know what region I’m in?
Regions are divided up by school districts.  We have 21 regions in Utah. They are:

1- Box Elder
2- Ogden/Weber
3- Davis
4- Salt Lake
5- Granite
6- Jordan
7- Toole
8- North Summit/Park City/Wasatch
9- Alpine
10- Nebo/Provo
11- Uintah/Duchesne
12- Carbon/Emery
13- South Sanpete/North Sanpete
15- Seviere/Millard
16- Beaver/Iron/Garfield
17- Canyons
18- Grand County
19- Murray
20- Kane County/Washington
21- Cache/Logan/Rich