LEGISLATIVE “QUEST FOR SUCCESS”
* October 24, 2012 for the Utah PTA Advocacy Conference
* February 20, 2013 for the Utah PTA Day at the Capitol
ACT AS IF WHAT YOU DO MAKES A DIFFERENCE. IT DOES. ~~ William James
"QUEST FOR SUCCESS" in Speaking on Behalf of All Children
As Parents, Teachers, and as PTA members we are strong advocates for children. Utah PTA’s ability to be effective in its advocacy efforts increases with each individual who will actively be involved with and advocate on behalf of children. I am excited to serve as the Utah PTA Legislative Vice President this year. My "Quest" will be to be share information, be accessible to PTA leaders and membership, and to work legislatively on behalf of all children in Utah. To succeed and be effective in meeting the needs of PTA members I would like to have all Legislative Vice Presidents and/or Legislative contacts feel free to contact me and have input on issues and concerns in PTA. I am requesting the following information from all PTA’s – local, councils, and regions:
· Send me the name and email address of the Legislative Vice President and/or Legislative contacts in your school. I would like to set up conference calls with the legislative contacts to share information and to hear any concerns or questions. With the technology available today these call can comprise satellite advisory committees for the legislative activity of Utah PTA. We can easily communicate with all areas of the state and truly hear the voice of our membership. It is only with your help that I can speak with you and hear your concerns; please send names, email addresses, and phone numbers to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Join the” member to member network” of Utah PTA. Through membership in this network, you will receive updates and alerts on what is happening legislatively in the State as well information on National issues of interest and concern to PTA. All PTA members are welcome to join this network; please email email@example.com and in the subject line write “Member to Member” and include your email address in the body of the email. Join the 800 individuals who are already in the Utah PTA “member to member network.”
· NOTE: Utah PTA sends updates and alerts only when PTA member action is needed. The action alert will give simple talking points and instruction on whom to contact at the state or national level.
Please include information in your school newsletter, on your website, and give information during your PTA meetings on the membership’s opportunity for phone conference calls. Help your PTA members be aware of the Utah PTA “Member to Member” network. Let PTA members know of their opportunity to unite their voices on behalf of all children.
Attached is the 2012 May Leadership Convention Legislative 101 Training: