Welcome to the Legislative area of the Utah PTA web site. Here you will find information and resources to assist you in advocating on behalf of the children of Utah.
In accordance with Utah PTA Bylaws notification of Utah PTA Nominees (Article XVI), Proposed Resolutions (Ariticle XX), and the Utah PTA Bylaw Amendments (Article XXXVI) are posted on the Utah PTA website 30 days before the Utah PTA Leadership Convention, scheduled to be held May 16 and 17, 2013.
Nominees listed below will be introduced at the first General Meeting on Thurday morning and installation of elected Board Members will take place on Friday morning.
Utah PTA Nominees:
President Elect: Dawn Davies
Leadership Vice President: Kris Denison
Programs Vice President: Patsy Chandler
Secretary: Bobi Taylor
Administrator Representative: Steven Hirase (Murray School District Superintendent)
Education Commissioner: Deon Turley
Individual Development Commissioner: Tonya Aston
Student Involvement Commissioner: Caroldean Neves
2013 Proposed Resolutions and Bylaws are attached below in PDF format. Please review the resolutions and the proposed bylaws amendments with your PTA Board and Members. Leadership Convention is open to all members.
The Utah PTA held Utah PTA Day at the Capitol on February 20, 2013.
PTA is grateful to the many PTA leaders and members who work in their schools and communities to advocate on behalf of children.
There were close to 300 PTA and PTSA members who attended the conference. Information and pictures from the conference can be downloaded and reviewed.
PTA appreciates the coverage by the press and pictures on the website are from the Deseret News website and taken by Ravell Call of the Deseret News. Deseret News article link: http://www.deseretnews.com/
National PTA offers many resources to assist with election year activities. There is information regarding maintaining the PTA 501(c)(3) status and important guidelines for your success. Each of the document below are from the National PTA website. Use of the resources will help you to have an excellent experience as you hold candidate forum and other events this election year. Click on the resource documents below:
LEGISLATIVE “QUEST FOR SUCCESS”
* October 24, 2012 for the Utah PTA Advocacy Conference
* February 20, 2013 for the Utah PTA Day at the Capitol
ACT AS IF WHAT YOU DO MAKES A DIFFERENCE. IT DOES. ~~ William James
"QUEST FOR SUCCESS" in Speaking on Behalf of All Children
As Parents, Teachers, and as PTA members we are strong advocates for children. Utah PTA’s ability to be effective in its advocacy efforts increases with each individual who will actively be involved with and advocate on behalf of children. I am excited to serve as the Utah PTA Legislative Vice President this year. My "Quest" will be to be share information, be accessible to PTA leaders and membership, and to work legislatively on behalf of all children in Utah. To succeed and be effective in meeting the needs of PTA members I would like to have all Legislative Vice Presidents and/or Legislative contacts feel free to contact me and have input on issues and concerns in PTA. I am requesting the following information from all PTA’s – local, councils, and regions:
· Send me the name and email address of the Legislative Vice President and/or Legislative contacts in your school. I would like to set up conference calls with the legislative contacts to share information and to hear any concerns or questions. With the technology available today these call can comprise satellite advisory committees for the legislative activity of Utah PTA. We can easily communicate with all areas of the state and truly hear the voice of our membership. It is only with your help that I can speak with you and hear your concerns; please send names, email addresses, and phone numbers to email@example.com.
· Join the” member to member network” of Utah PTA. Through membership in this network, you will receive updates and alerts on what is happening legislatively in the State as well information on National issues of interest and concern to PTA. All PTA members are welcome to join this network; please email firstname.lastname@example.org and in the subject line write “Member to Member” and include your email address in the body of the email. Join the 800 individuals who are already in the Utah PTA “member to member network.”
· NOTE: Utah PTA sends updates and alerts only when PTA member action is needed. The action alert will give simple talking points and instruction on whom to contact at the state or national level.
Please include information in your school newsletter, on your website, and give information during your PTA meetings on the membership’s opportunity for phone conference calls. Help your PTA members be aware of the Utah PTA “Member to Member” network. Let PTA members know of their opportunity to unite their voices on behalf of all children.
Attached is the 2012 May Leadership Convention Legislative 101 Training:
The UTAH PTA Public Policy Program is the primary authority for public policy action and statements by Utah PTA on state and local legislation and administrative policies and regulations. The current Legislative Priorities have been adopted by the Utah PTA Board of Directors and are based on resolutions.
Utah PTA resolutions are formal statements that have been approved by the Utah PTA Convention delegates and are the official policies of the organization. The Legislative Directives are based upon the actions called for in our current resolutions.
The Legislative Action Committee (LAC) consists of the Utah PTA Executive Committee, the Utah PTA Commissioners, and appointees chosen by the Legsislative Vice President and approved by the Board of Directors. The LAC is a recommending body to the executive committee and the Utah PTA Board of Directors.
The LAC meets monthly except during the legislative session, when members work individually with commissions to evaluate and recommend Utah PTA positions on pending legislation.
Utah PTA Member-to-Member Network
Join the Utah PTA Member-to-Member Network today and enjoy the benefits of regular updates on all legislative matters during interim meetings, advanced notice of legislative events and the opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of our children during the session. E-mail Dawn Davies, the Utah PTA Legislative VP at email@example.com to become a member of the Utah PTA Member-to-Member Network.
National PTA Member-to-Member Network
You may also join National PTA's Member-to-Member Network. Find out more info at http://www.pta.org.
Utah State Legislature Web site: http://www.le.state.ut.us
Utah House of Representatives:
To find out who your Representative or Senator is and to find the information necessary to contact them, go to the following link:
This is a very easy tool to get information about both your Representative and your Senator. You simply need to type in your address and city and hit "Go." If you click on the name of your representative or Senator, you will see more information about your legislator, including email address, phone number(s), address, and which legislative committees they serve on.